- Nepal Tours
- Kathmandu Valley Ridge-Top Trek
Kathmandu Valley Ridge-Top Trek - 5 Days
This very easy trek into the hills surrounding Kathmandu provides a great opportunity to experience the lifestyle, history and culture of the rural hill settlements of Nepal. In clear weather you get magnificent panoramic views of the Himalayan range including Mount Everest. You will be amazed how quickly you can travel back in time when you leave the modern city; just beyond the borders of Kathmandu you find a beautiful countryside that feels far away from pollution and modern conveniences.
The first destination is Chisapani, meaning 'cold water'. From this hill top village there is a great view of the Everest and Langtang ranges. To reach Chisapani we travel one hour by road to Sundarijal and then trek 4 hours, passing through some ethnic settlements of the Tamang tribe at Mulkharka and the dense forest of Shivapuri National Park. It is possible to see spotted deer and other wildlife here.
The next destination is Nagarkot, a village spread along the crest of a hill. We walk along a pleasant trail through more villages and pine forests. The trail is fairly level so we enjoy great mountain views along the way as well as from Nagarkot. Many tourists are attracted to Nagarkot for the view of the sunrise on the Himalayas. You will understand why when you watch the sunset and sunrise from Nagarkot.
The trail to Changu Narayan is a gradual descent through many villages of the Tamang tribe. Changu village is concentrated around the Changu Narayan Temple, believed to be the oldest temple in the valley. The impressive ornate sculptures and carvings of this temple portray the ancient Hindu beliefs. A vehicle will meet us two hour drive takes us back to Kathmandu.
- A chance to see real Nepal village life and culture
- Short distance from Kathmandu, time saver
- Amazing mountain views
- Safe and easy, a heart-beat away from the amenities of Kathmandu
Book This Trip →
Arrive in Kathmandu
Kathmandu – Chisapani
Chisapani – Nagarkot
Nagarkot – Changu Narayan – Kathmandu
Departure from Kathmandu
- Transfers between airport and hotel
- Hotel in Kathmandu 2 Nights B&B (Bed and Breakfast)
- Local transportation during the trek
- Overnight stay in lodges with all meals included during trekking days
- Trekking permit
- Knowledgeable Trekking guide (fluent English)
- Personal expenses and tips
- Your personal insurance and international airfare
- Lunch and dinner during the stay in Kathmandu
- Other expenses not mentioned in the 'cost include' above
Spring and fall are the best seasons for Valley Ridge trekking: from March to June, or from September to December. The winter months of January and February are possible if you don't mind the cold, but we don't recommend the summer monsoon season from July to mid September.